May 31, 2023
The Sudan Conflict Monitor update is a rapid response to the expanding war in Sudan written through a peacebuilding, human rights and justice lens. Bi-weekly, we try to capture the six most important stories in Sudan. Please share it widely.
Powered by Ayin, Human Rights Hub and the Sudan Transparency and Policy Tracker
This week are top stories are:
- Military overview. The latest humanitarian ceasefire is not holding and neither side is winning.
- The role of the Islamists. More information about the role of the Islamists in the current fighting is surfacing.
- Looting, lawlessness and abuses. Systematic looting is devastating Sudanese businesses.
- Collapse of local truces in Darfur. Local truces that had been in place are collapsing, leading to increasing violence.
- Deteriorating humanitarian situation. Already serious humanitarian consequences are only getting worse.
- Diplomatic initiatives to resolve the conflict. A widening array of international actors have stepped to play a role in resolving the conflict in Sudan.
Read the full newsletter here.