(May 9, 2023) The SCO update is a rapid response to the expanding war in Sudan written through a peacebuilding, human rights and justice lens. Bi-weekly, we try to capture the five most important stories in Sudan. Please share it widely.
Powered by Ayin, Human Rights Hub and the Sudan Transparency and Policy Tracker
This week are top stories are:
● Khartoum’s new normal. Residents are living with urban warfare and lawlessness. With no services, they rely on each other for assistance.
● The propaganda wars. Hostile and divisive media campaigns fill the airwaves.
● West Darfur’s spiraling violence. A new cycle of deadly violence sends a stark warning how conflict could spread along ethnic lines.
● Ethnic recruitment in Darfur. Even before the war, both sides were recruiting from Darfur’s Arab communities.
● International responses: sanctions and negotiations. As international mediators push parties to negotiate, experts call for sanctioning the warring sides and their assets.
Read the full report.